We were invited to visit by our friends at Comic Relief, to see how some of the money raised by Red Nose Day is used in our local community. In previous years I've shared many stories from projects in Africa, but only 60% of money raised goes on to fund projects in Africa, the other 40% is spent here in the UK supporting local charities. Did you know that wherever you live in the UK, the chances are there's a good cause within 30 miles form you that receives support from Comic Relief.
We had the pleasure of chatting with Rachel Hampton, the manager who's worked at the nurseries for 17 years. Rachel's passion and understanding for helping people with mental health problems shone through as she spoke to us.
It was lovely to spend some time with a few of the people accessing the services as they talked us through preparing the soil and potting baby plants. So many smiling faces, it was glaringly obvious that this is a positive experience for everyone involved.
Peer support is an important part of the work at Mayfield, boosting confidence, helping each other, growing as individuals together.
Activites run throughout the week, with early onset dementia groups meeting twice a week. Activities include:
- Gardening jobs, such as pruning, planting
- Woodworking, including commissions for bird boxes and planters
- Arts & Crafts
The nursery boasts four large greenhouses, woodwork area, training room and kitchen inside the building whilst outside there's a undercover cafe seating area, information centre, 4 polytunnels and an allotment.
On Saturday 11th March, I walked 10 miles across London carrying and cooking breakfast, lunch and dinner on the way in three of the capitals parks, along with fellow Team Honkers as we do The Honk Line, London's newest overground line, available for one day only.It would mean the world to me if you would consider sponsoring me - thank you x
Red Nose Day is back on Friday 24th March 2017
To get involved go to www.rednoseday.com and get your free Fundraising Kit