99. Top Ten Things to do with Children at Camp Bestival
Following on from my Top Ten pay-extra-for things for families to do at Camp Bestival I'm sharing my Top Ten Things To Do with Children at Camp Bestival. This year was, in my opinion, the best year so far at the festival for children - and here's why...
1. Lizzie's Way - Situated in the Dingly Dell in Lizzie's Way, brain child of Lizzie Mitchell, a children's activity specialist who is based on the Isle of Wight. At Camp Bestival, Lizzie taps into the fun of the outdoors, creating fun that will capture imaginations young and old. I could spend all day there - just the best time to be had. It also has the bonus of being shaded by the trees so if it's a hot day it gives a great break from the heat. There's also small reading tents there too, perfect for those who just need to chill out for a bit - and in a festival full of so much fun that's exactly what kids need. We timed our visit perfectly, plumping to avoid Mr Tumble-mania which meant the Dingly Dell was far quieter than usual.
2. Project Wild thing's Munching Caterpillars - Butterfly Conservation - A sweet addition this year, children could get involved in activities and learn about butterfly conservation at the same time. Here you see Kitty and Ozzy planting butterfly friendly plants.
3. Soul Journey in the Soul Park - children were given a certificate and asked to go round to the 4 different sections - earth, wind, air and fire, completing a challenge at each and getting the certificate stamped. Once all four areas were completed and the certificate stamped 4 times the children received a sticker. This was fab hands-on and chilled out morning merriment.
They made paper boats, clay animals, wishing hands and stick men...
4. National Trust's 50 Things Meadow - Passionate about getting children outdoors and exploring, the National Trust has launched 50 things to do before you’re 11 ¾ and this meadow at Camp Bestival had a few activities from that list to try out. More info on the 50 things can be found here.
5. Morris Dancers - It's the only time of the year we see Morris Dancers as a family and the children love it as much as we do. Catch them in the Courtyard and you can enjoy a huge Mr Whippy icecream at the same time - heaven!
6. Lower Kids Field - So many creative ways to keep children occupied, we loved the cardboard city!
7. Bubbles! Bring you own or buy some at the festival from Bubble Inc - there's always so many bubbles at Camp Bestival that children flock to them, Kit and Ozzy were a bit like the Pied Piper with these bubble guns!
8. Fun Festival Goers - there's always such a great atmosphere and people really throw themselves into the spirit of things!
9. Bollywood Tent - Big Fish Little Fish is just the bestest thing, young and old raving along together!
10. Knitting Tent - Now I've just learnt to knit I'm appreciating it a lot more than before and the Knitting Tent at Camp Bestival was always bustling with people - young and old, getting involved. Read more about the Knitting Tent over on Knit You Next Tuesday.
There's so much for children at Camp Bestival and Early Bird tickets have gone on sale for 2015 already. For more info please click here. For those who want to go next year but would like to stagger payments, Camp Bestival will be running it's excellent and innovative Weekly Payment Plan again, keep your eyes on the site: CampBestival.net for more information or subscribe to their mailing list for all the news first!
A Camp Bestival 2014 Reading List or reviews, chat and tips :