This Lemon drizzle cake recipe has the tangy hit of lemon that you’d expect but with subtle hints of lavender. I only used a little lavender in this recipe as I’ve found that getting the balance right when it come to lavender is key.
125 g unsalted butter
175 g caster sugar
2 large eggs
Zest of 1 lemon
175 g self raising flour
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of lavender
4 tablespoons milk
Loaf tin buttered and lined
Juice of 1.5 lemons (save the other half as you’ll use this for the icing)
100g icing sugar
Juice of half a lemon
150g icing sugar
1. Preheat your oven to 180 C/ gas mark 4. Butter and line the loaf tin.
2. Cream together butter and sugar and add eggs and lemon zest. Fold in the flour, salt and lavender and mix thoroughly. Finally add the milk. Spoon the batter into your prepared tin and bake for 45 mins or until cake tester comes out clean.
3. Drizzle time! Put the lemon juice & icing sugar into a small bowl and stir well.
4. Once the cake is out of oven, keep it in the loaf tin and puncture all over with a skewer and pour over the drizzle.
5. Leave cake in the loaf tin until it’s completely cooled.
6. Icing o’clock. In another small bowl add the lemon juice and icing sugar and stir until silky smooth.
7. Spread the icing over the cooled Lemon drizzle cake, decorate with grated lemon rind and lavender if you fancy it.
Enjoy yourLemon drizzle cake with a cup of tea, sat in the garden in the sunshine.